Attempts at baking...

I have always loved cupcakes and it seems more recently they have been increasing in popularity. I never really thought I was a great baker but I have been trying things out slowing and trying to become more domestic. We shall see about that! I thought I would post my first attempt at going all out in baking, of course I only took pictures of the pretty cupcakes after the fact not of the complete mess I made of my kitchen in the process. No one ever said baking was a clean job!

These are lemon cupcakes with almond buttercream frosting. I doctored up a yellow box cake to make a lemon flavor, then I made the frosting from scratch. I decided to try and make an egg's nest look and I think they turned out pretty good for my first try. I bought coconut ( that was supposed to be shredded, oops I bought flakes instead) and baked it for a bit, then colored it yellow. I sprinkled the coconut on top with a few M&M's to mimic the eggs. I think they turned out pretty tasty!


Next I decided to take it one step further and make cupcake toppers. I have seen these all over the internet on party planning websites and blogs. I thought I would try it myself, or course as usual I over scheduled myself and stayed up way too late to finish these, but I am glad I did. These little guys turned out really cute and I even saved them for next year in case I find another way to use them.


My next attempt will be funfetti cookie sandwiches! Stay tuned...

~Toni

3 comments

  1. Yum! Funfetti cookie sandwiches!! You are killing me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See it's addicting once you start. You keep thinking of all the ways you can decorate and they're a very versatile dessert. What is going to be your filling for the cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Elisabeth, it's killing my waist line! Mel I will post the cookies next. :)

    ReplyDelete